Historical city stroll through Grieskirchen
Grown from old traditions and elevated to the status of a town for more than 400 years, the district capital of Grieskirchen is an endearing little town with 5,000 inhabitants and globally successful companies. The picturesque town centre invites you to linger with its listed town houses and colourful house fronts.
Town Parish Church
The parish church in Grieskirchen is located in the town centre on the church square. It was first mentioned in a document in 1075 and was thoroughly renovated at the end of the 20th century. It is worth seeing both from the outside and the inside. The associated tomb monument of Sigmund von Polheim and his wife Potentiana is an art-historical rarity from the 16th century.
The Karbrunnen was built by Gundaker von Polheim in 1610. This facility was of great importance, especially for fire fighting. The basin is octagonal and holds 156 hectolitres of water.
The fountain used to stand between the Zweimüller inn and today's VKB and was later moved to the middle of the church square. In the course of the urban design, the Karbrunnen was completely removed, renovated and repositioned at the western end of the church square.
The Schwibbogen with baroque fresco was built in 1604 and is located between houses three and four. Until 1857, the Viehbach stream flowed here in the direction of Roßmarkt.
There are two legends about the construction of this Schwibbogen. One is about the two owners of the houses and the other about the master builder who built the arch with the help of the devil.
A work of art floats above Grieskirchen - the 1,600m² net snakes from house to house at a height of 13 to 25 metres and weighs around 250 kilograms. The net is a special eye-catcher and it is hard to imagine Grieskirchen without it. It symbolises the solidarity and togetherness in Grieskirchen.
Just a few houses away is theGrieskirchen brewery, which has been an important business in the region since 1708. High-quality raw materials from the Mühlviertel and Hausruckviertel regions as well as crystal-clear spring water from the brewery's own well at a depth of 120 m guarantee the superior quality of GRIESKIRCHNER beers.
Tollet Castle is located slightly northwest of Grieskirchen.
The first fortification of the present castle was built in 1170. The Renaissance style of the castle, which can still be admired in all its splendour today, was created at the beginning of the 17th century. Particularly worth seeing here are the artistically forged fountain in the courtyard and the arcade railings, which date back to the time of construction. The tower offers an impressive distant view of the Trattnachtal valley.
Holy Trinity Column
The Holy Trinity Column was erected by Johann Georg Adam von Hohenegg Lord of Schlislberg and Trattenegg (1669 - 1754). He is considered one of the most important genealogists of his time. In accordance with his pious attitude, he had a votive column erected in 1708, which stood in Unternberg until 1975, when it was renovated and reinstalled on Pühringerplatz in 1979.
The Kepler Clock, located at the Grieskirchen School Centre, is probably the largest vertical, plane sundial in Austria, if not in Europe, at 240 m². On a guided tour you will learn more about the historical background, the history of its creation and how to read it.
It pays tribute to the mathematician, theologian and astronomer Johannes Kepler.
Parz Country Castle
The castles of Parz are located on the eastern edge of Grieskirchen.
Parz Country Castle was built in 1514. On the garden facade of this castle are frescoes from the 1580s, which are considered to be major works of Austrian and southern German Renaissance art, both artistically and iconographically. Thanks to careful restoration work, the frescoes are extraordinarily well preserved over a length of 90 metres and a height of 10 metres. The garden of the country palace is inspired by the Renaissance period, but mixed with modern interpretations.
Parz Castle Gallery
First mentioned in documents as "Veste Parz" in the 14th century, the former castle with moat changed hands several times.
The moated castle of Parz is a special place for art. The gallery regularly hosts exhibitions of the works of local and international artists. Schloss Parz in Grieskirchen has been known as an important venue for contemporary art for around 60 years. In the 1960s, the painter Hans Hoffmann-Ybbs and his partner Charlotte Buck established a cultural centre there with lively exhibition activity.
Shopping and gastronomy
Finally, the numerous well-stocked shops not only make every shopping heart beat faster, but also guarantee that everyone will find what they are looking for. Those who love to stroll and shop through the town are in the right place in Grieskrichen.
The gastronomic establishments in the town provide refreshments and cordially invite you to linger.